This priceless Egyptian false door carved out of stone, from the tomb of venerable Hanout, dates from the twelfth dynasty [2000-1788 BC.].
The first Mastabas [tombs in the ground] of the old kingdom had no rooms within them and only a false door in the East side. The dead, dwelling in the West behind the door, might enter again into the world of the living at will. This false door was finally elaborated into a kind of chapel-chamber in the mass of the masonry.
Throughout the years, false doors were changed to the west wall of the chamber so that the deceased, when looking out of the false door, would be facing the valley where the offerings were brought.
This door represented a symbolic entrance and exit which “Ba” or soul of the deceased could use to reappear from the beyond in order to make away the offerings placed in the tombs by survivors. Another purpose of the false door was to hide the true entrances to the burial chamber so that the tomb robbers would be unable to find the mummy and its treasures. This practice hardly discouraged tomb robbers, since most of the tombs were violated by Egyptian thieves and later by Arab invaders.